Organizations in Busan and the Region
The Busan American Corner is a resource center located on the first floor of the Busan Metropolitan Simin Municipal Library that will provide the people of Busan with open, factual, and accurate information about the United States, its people, culture, history, government, and institutions. Students seeking to conduct research on the United States and members of the general public desiring to improve their English language skills through free access to a comprehensive collection of English language print and electronic materials will benefit from the American Corner’s presence at the Simin Library.
American Corners are also located at the Daegu Metropolitan Jungang Library in Daegu and Gwangju Metropolitan Mudeung Libarary in Gwangju.
American Studies Institutes/Centers
- Center for American Studies, Dongeui University
- Yeungnam American Center, Yeungnam University
- American Studies Institute, Pukyong National University
Window On America
Adding to the success of the American Corner project, in 2005, the U. S. Embassy began establishing "Window on America" bookshelves, housing books and stocks of USG free publications in English and Korean in high visibility areas throughout Korea.
As with the American Corners, the Window on America is a partnership between the U.S. Embassy and the hosting institution. The hosting institution is responsible for providing an ideal place for the publications and for maintaining the shelves, while the U.S. Embassy is responsible for providing the materials. As a small, mobile counterpart to the American Corner, the purpose of the "Window on America" bookshelf is to provide access for tens of thousands of Koreans outside the major population centers of the country to information about the United States that is accurate and authoritative, while promoting the society and culture of the United States to Korean audiences.
Window on America established in Busan and the Region
- March 3, 2009 Jeju Halla Library
- May 29, 2008 Pohang University of Science & Technology
- May 29, 2008 Keimyung University
- February 14, 2008 Korea Naval Academy
- February 13, 2008 Dongeui University
- February 21, 2007 Kyeongsang National University
- January 24, 2007 Kyungbuk University
- January 24, 2007 Yeongnam University
- July 5, 2006 Pukyung National University
- July 5, 2006 Dong-A University
- May 26, 2006 Cheju National University
- February 22, 2006 Pusan National University